Subletting your house or apartment while on vacation can be a lucrative business, and it’s a great way to justify a few extra margaritas on the beach. It can also be frightening, conjuring memories of your local locksmiths working overtime, your couch on the front lawn, or even worse, in the pool.
1. How do you find the ideal strangers to live with?
Where else but the internet? Yeah, there’s Craigslist, but if you want to work with a smaller group, one that needs a little more verification to join, check out Sabbaticalhomes.com, Couchsurfers.com, or 1sthomeexchange.com. Get more informations of Mobile Locksmith Arlington
Bonus: If you don’t have a particular vacation scheduled, home swapping is a great choice on any of these pages. Why not spend a week in Slovenia? Is it possible to visit Barcelona? What’s the deal with Boston? If you happen to be in their home at the same time, you’re more likely to have responsible visitors for your home.
2. Double-check your sources. Ask for three, and not just one or two that are personal. Speak with the references and make sure they give you a positive vibe. If you want to go a step further, you can spend $30-$40 on a background check.
3. To obtain payment, draught a simple, legally binding agreement that contains a provision for damaged property. Get a 50% deposit ahead of time.
4. Don’t sublet on the DL (down there, in case you didn’t know). Tell your landlord and your super if you’re a renter. Most leases allow for a week or two of subletting, and your landlord will appreciate it if you keep them informed. If you rent or own your house, inform your neighbours about who will be staying with you and for how long.
5. Get a duplicate collection of all your keys made by a local locksmith. Make replacement car keys if you’ll be allowing your subletters to drive your car. Give a spare set to a third party, such as a neighbour, a family member who lives nearby, or a trusted friend.
6. After the subletters have left, consider changing the locks. It can seem drastic or costly, but now that you’ve got all those keys strewn about, it’s a preventative measure that could help you sleep better at night. Including the costs of any of these items in the rent you charge.
7. Let’s talk about pets for a moment. Their pets, your pets. First and foremost, make it clear whether or not pets are permitted. That is the most basic scenario.
It’s a whole different ballgame if you have pets and hope your subletter will look after them for you. If you’re subletting to strangers, I suggest finding another, reliable source for pet care, such as a nearby kennel or a neighbour. Certainly if you have a canine companion.
I-Tech Locksmith – Arlington
1738 W Division St, Arlington, texas 76012